There's no guarantee as to when you might go into labour, so it's good to be organised a few weeks ahead of your due date, just in case baby decides to make an early appearance.
Here is a list of suggested things to pack in your hospital bag. Even if you're having a home birth, it might be a good idea to pack a bag just in case you end up having to make the trip to hospital anyway.
What to pack:
- Birth plan and maternity notes
- Comfy nighties (pack a few, including one that opens at the front) and dressing gown
- Slippers or flipflops
- Birthing ball (unless the hospital provides one)
- Snacks and drinks
- Big pants
- Maternity Pads (not sanitary towels)
- Toiletries, makeup, tissues, lip balm and hair things (brush, bobbles etc)
- Music and hypnobirthing CD if relevant
- Book / Magazines / Phone with Netflix and headphones. Don't forget your charger!
- TENS machine
- Flannel and Fan to keep you cool
- Going home clothes for you and baby
- Spare babygros
- Nappies, bags and wipes (you may want to pack a separate nappy bag)
- Breast pads and nursing bras
- Baby blanket
- Bottles and formula if you don't plan to breastfeed
And don't forget your carseat!